Monday 11 December 2006

Landed in India yesterday

I am now back home after a 20 hour journey from London to Chandigarh. Had Sarson ka Saag with Makki ki Roti for lunch and Rajma-Chawal for dinner. YuM!!!!

Here's the text of my speech at the Christmas dinner in Netherhall House:

Many people think that good speeches should be humorous. I, however, will stick to plain kind words. As Mother Teresa has said, “kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. In Japan, one kind word can warm three winter months.

Over the past year and a half that I have stayed here, I have come to appreciate Russell’s sense of intellectual humour and Peter’s sense of what he thinks is humour. I have been touched by Kevin's commitment to the hall. Have been by enchanted by Miguel’s carefree rain song singing and dancing. Have enjoyed every bit of Father Joe’s friendly grilling. Cant say the same about Juan’s not-so friendly billing. Have laughed at Shane’s cricket catching and Khurram’s light hearted chit-chatting. In the words of Kahlil Gibran: in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

I feel our destinies are shaped by what we think and what we think is influenced by our conversations with our friends. Here at Netherhall, I have been able to forge friendships that I will cherish forever.

William Phelps, an American in the 19th Century (incidentally Republican) has said (accent):.

How essential it is, to acquire some intellectual or artistic tastes in youth, in order to furnish the mind, to be able to live inside a mind with attractive and interesting pictures on the walls.”

I think in this respect, Netherhall provides us with artistic colour in the form of regular concerts. The wealth and diversity of knowledge in our library is enough to paint our mind with many interesting pictures several times over.

This brings me to the definition of Netherhall.

Netherhall is the fire underneath the melting pot of ideals, which brings us warmth and sometimes even hot chocolate. It is the wind that carries us like pollens so that we may reach our destinations. It is the water that keeps our minds quenched with weekly talks and daily get-togethers. It is the earth – calm, quiet, supportive and caring.

Just like everything was thought to have been made up of the classical elements, we too become one with the wind water fire and earth that is Netherhall. We adopt the ways of spreading happiness, laughter, and light around us. Here at Netherhall, the diffusion of goodness and deepening of spirit is a dangerously contagious phenomenon. I will end by quoting a Spanish proverb which says: Tell me whom you live with and I will tell you who you are.

No comments: